Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 82
The Nintendo DS is a huge hit, the PSP isn’t doing too bad either and there are persistent rumors that Microsoft’s working on their own handheld. The next generation of handhelds could be very interesting indeed. What kind of characteristics can we expect in a system coming out, say, 2 years from now?
Here’s my wish list:
- Two screens, DS-style, in a clamshell design.
- The bottom and main screen is a 6 inch LED-backlit widescreen supporting multi-touch. It has a resolution of 720×480 (full DVD resolution) or better.
- The top screen is an e-ink screen that swivels like a tablet PC screen, so you can keep it visible while playing and while the system is closed. E-ink screens don’t update quickly, but they can keep showing the same information indefinitely without using any battery power. While playing, this screen would show information that doesn’t update very often – maps and such. The cool thing is when the system is sleeping: you could have this screen show you information throughout the day. The system could wake up every minute to update the screen with your RSS feeds, the status of your realm in a MMO, the weather, whatever.
- The 4 face buttons (usual X, Y, A, B buttons) have small (16×16) OLED screens in them, so they can show icons of the effect of the button. Instead of pressing the X button to shoot, you press the button with a gun icon – much easier.
- Wifi with connectivity options similar to Xbox Live. You can go buy and download games directly from the system.
- Bluetooth support for peripherals, like a headset for VOIP for example.
- TV output so you can play on a large screen when you’re not on the go.
- 3rd party applications are supported in a sandbox to avoid problems with viruses
- 800 MHz CPU
- 512MB RAM
- 16GB SSD
- Slot for other flash cards for additional space
- 6 hours battery life